Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I remember the day of my sister's memorial service. I was deep in shock, so the emotional enormity of the day was not yet weighing on me. I was so happy to see all my friends and family, plus Kirstin's friends in one place. I just couldn't believe how many people came out in support of my family and to remember Kirstin. I thought, if Kirstin only knew how much everyone loved her, maybe she wouldn't have left so soon. Without a doubt, she was loved more than she ever could have known, until that day. I know she was there with us, watching and probably in disbelief at the sheer number of people who were there. I think she always felt underappreciated and misunderstood. We, or at least I, could never show her how much I loved her in the way she wanted. She was different than me, my mom, or my brother. I guess the rest of us all have a sense of humor about life and love. We make fun of each other and sarcasm constantly runs through our conversations. I later found out that Kirstin was that way with her friends, though she didn't want the teasing and sarcasm from her family. Funny.

No comments: